When home improvements are on your New Year’s Resolution list, it’s important to find the right contractors to help. Recently, we were asked to help a local home owner fix a flooring mistake made by a previous contractor. Because a craftsman was hired to do a job that he knew little about, the home owner ended up paying for repairs. Avoid paying more for home improvement jobs by hiring the right local contractor!
With just a few simple steps, find the right local contractor for you and avoid hiring the wrong ones.
- Shop around: When you’re in the market for a contractor to help beautify your home, don’t hire the first contractor you come across. There are some really good directories out there that will help you shop around for local contractors. Also, ask your friends, family or coworkers for suggestions.
- Ask for pictures or testimonials: Always ask for samples of previous work. If a contractor is unable to give you examples of past work it may be wise to move on to the next contractor on your list.
- Get estimates: Before settling on a local contractor, be sure to get an estimate for the work to be done. The estimate should include price and time needed to complete the job. It may be a good idea to get this estimate in writing.
- Review your list of contractors: Based on the examples of past work, testimonials and the price and time estimate choose the best contractor for the job that you need completed.
- Get Started: After you’ve chosen your contractor, get the home improvement-ball rolling. Consider signing a contract with your contractor in order to ensure that the job will be done according to your agreements with no hidden fees or charges.
Home Improvements should be exciting, don’t let the wrong contractor fill you with stress!